Saturday, February 27, 2010

M. Gordon "Reds" Wolman

I was lucky enough to have Reds as my undergraduate adviser at Johns Hopkins, and to this day I count him as one of my strongest influences in mind and attitude. A preternatural charm, combined with equanimity, generosity, and intellect is how I best remember Reds, not to mention the trademark bow tie. Many of us try to emulate Reds, but I doubt any of us had the full package. Anyone who has not been lucky to have met this incredible spirit may wonder at the ready use of superlatives in remembrances discussing Reds, but more than anyone else I have met -- and I have know my share of world-class researchers like Reds -- Reds's spirit electrified the space around him. Even at 85, Reds remained a rock star.

Decades later, as fortune would have it, I returned to Hopkins with a doctorate to serve in his division at JHSPH. A great homecoming. And I doubt very much I would have made it that far without his example to follow. I'll never forget my job talk at Hopkins when, after a few minutes into my presentation, I saw that iconic bow tie topped with red hair and a smile enter the lecture hall. I was happy that he had remembered one of the dozens of undergraduates he has advised over the years, and my confidence soared.

An exceptionally gracious letter from Hopkins's new president is one of many remembrances.

No comments: