Saturday, November 17, 2007

Peanut butter ice cream

My ice cream making lore. I use a Kitchenaid mixer with the ice cream making attachment. What? Don't tell me you're still using your peewee electric ice cream making machine, or, gad, elbow grease? Below are some practical hints for making the peanut butter ice cream recipe in from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book (1987) , pages 74-75.

  • Very awesome and very peanut-buttery! Strongly suggest using a "natural" peanut butter.
  • Recipe calls for 1/3 cup peanut butter. I say make that a generous 1/3 cup.
  • The Kitchenaid whisk makes short work of dissolving peanut butter into the Sweet Cream Base.
  • I augmented the recipe with malt (1/3 cup), which adds a maddeningly subtle complexity to the flavor. I couldn't lay my hands on Carnation malt, so I used Ovaltine which seemed to do the trick, but next time I might try 1/2 cup Ovaltine. Still looking for Carnation.0
  • If you pour chocolate syrup or fudge over the ice cream, you get a peanut butter cup taste sensation, which I think is preferable to incorporating chocolate into the ice cream itself.
  • As always, use pasteurized egg substitute.

No comments: